Discover fixed period of time, freeze the target, full focus
- Time-box is an essential concept in Scrum.
- A time-box is a fixed period of time in which we freeze the target and work with full focus on certain tasks or objectives.
- Time-boxed events repeat many times, until the final goal of the project is achieved.
- All the changes are applied only when one time-box is finished and we are ready to start the next one.
- The duration of a time-box should be agreed upon and fixed.
NOTE: We are free to change the duration based on lessons learned, but not frequently, and never based on single occasions. For example, we are not allowed to say that we have a lot to do this time, so let’s increase the duration for this particular case. What we are allowed to say is based on the previous ten time-boxes, we realized that the duration of our time-boxes is not suitable, and a 30% increase in duration might better fit our needs. So, let’s increase them from now.
- Time-Box is our way of staying focused and getting things done in an ever-changing environment.