What is expectations management
Expectations management is the art and science of using communications, techniques, documentation and deliverables to keep the stakeholders (usually the client/sponsor) satisfied with the progress/deliveries of the project. It is often one of the crucial factor of the project success as few projects completely fail (in the sense of delivering out of scope, out of budget and out of schedule) but too many failures comes from no meeting the users’ expectations.
Some tips to successfully manage expectations include:
- Being honest and realists
- Under promise and over deliver (instead of over promising and under delivering)
- Constant communication (keeping everyone in the loop)
- Concise and systematic reporting
- Anticipation (new needs and requirements)